What is a Skilled Worker Visa?

The UK Skilled Worker visa is the most common route for a non-British citizen to work for an employer in the UK and to live in the United Kingdom. This includes citizens of the European Union, EEA and Switzerland.

To be eligible to employ a non-British citizen the company or organisation requires a “sponsor licence” from the Home Office. For information on sponsor licences please follow this link.

A Skilled Worker Visa enables the worker and their dependants (spouse or partner, and children aged under 18) to:

    • live and work in the UK for up to 5 years
    • exit and re-enter the UK freely on multiple occasions

After 5 years of residence in the UK under the Skilled Worker visa scheme, Indefinite Leave to Remain (permanent residence) may be obtained by the worker and any dependants. If this is granted, all restrictions end and after a further 12 months of residence in the UK the worker can apply to become a British citizen by naturalisation.

The Skilled Worker visa route is the most popular route for working in the UK because it leads to settlement and British citizenship unlike some other work visas. It can be used by a person already living in the UK depending on what leave (permission) the person already has.

What Pharmacy Jobs Qualify for a Skilled Worker Visa?

  • Pharmacists:
    • Dispensary Manager
    • Pharmacist
    • Pharmacy Manager
    • Medical Counter Assistant
    • Accuracy Checking Dispenser
  • Pharmaceutical Technicians:
    • Dispensing Technician
    • Pharmaceutical Technician
    • Pharmacy Technician

Sponsor Licence Applications

A pharmacy can qualify for a Skilled Worker Sponsor Licence provided that they have an existing genuine vacancy (the first) for which it is required. Passportia will assess the business and then do all the work needed to prepare and submit a Sponsor Licence application.

For further information on company eligibility requirements and the Sponsor Licence application process please follow this link.

Skilled Worker Visa Applications

In order for a pharmacy with a valid Sponsor Licence to employ a non-British citizen, the intended employee needs to have been granted Entry Clearance or Leave to Remain as a Skilled Worker.

Passportia will facilitate these applications of an intended employee by assessing and advising on the vacancy, terms of employment, and the intended employee. Passportia will then prepare all the required materials and submit the applications.

For more details on the application process and what Passportia does, please follow this link.

Standard Fees

Passportia fees

Assessment of job only  £200
Application for job applicant  £800
Application for each dependant  £500
Application for sponsor licence  £1,000 to  £2,000

Services and fees are subject to terms and conditions in a letter of engagement.


  • An immigration & citizenship law specialist
  • Successful with complex applications
  • Fast, flexible and precise
  • A consultancy with 8 years’ experience

Jamal Mohammed - Immigration Advisor


Immigration & Nationality Advisor

You were so helpful in answering my questions and I really appreciate your advice. It is extremely difficult to find a service that can offer advice for citizenship issues. I highly recommend your services to anyone seeking help with UK citizenship. Good luck for the future.

C.A. - Colorado, USA